Let's look фе "Configuration" menu item in details.
People -> Account settings
Here you can:
- Enable/disable user contact form. The form is availbale on the user profile page. When form is submitted the user get notification to his email.
- Replace default name for Anonymous user.
- Choose Administrator role. Each user on drupal site has one or more roles. You can allow or deny access to the pages and features for each role.
- Setup if the user can register account or if only administrator can make this.
- Setup the need of email verification when a visitor creates an account.
- Enable/disable password strength indicator.
- Choose what to do with the user`s content when the user deletes the account.
- Edit text of notification mails. Such as account created, activated, blocked etc.
- Add new fields to the users accounts.
System -> Basic site settings
Here you can edit site name, slogan, site email, choose front page, 404, 403 errors pages.
System -> Cron
You can run cron manually and setup how often cron should run.
Content authoring -> Text formats and editors
There is list of text formats. Text format is used when you type text in text area. For each text format you can choose for which roles format is available, choose text editor, Enable/disable image uploads, Limit allowed HTML tags etc. For Anonymous users you can choose more protected format (disable html tags for example) for site editors another format.
Development -> Performance
Here you can enable/disable caching. It's important for site performance. It is better to enable on the live site and disable on the dev site.
Development -> Logging and errors
Ability to hide/display errors messages and setup the count of Database log messages. It is better to enable messages on the dev site and disable on the live site.
Development -> Maintenance mode
It is recommended to put the site into maintenance mode when you enable or install or disable modules and themes, make db updates.
Media -> Image styles
You can add new image styles or edit existing. (When you add a new page with image field, you can display this image style on the full page and another image style on the teaser.)
Search and metadata -> Search pages
On this page you can check search index status and re-index content. You can setup how many pages should be indexed per cron run, also you can see the list of search pages. By default there are 2 search pages:user search page and node search page. You can add/edit/delet search pages.
Search and metadata -> url aliases
You can add / remove aliase for existing path.
Regional and language -> Regional settings
You can choose website country, First day of week, Default time zone, allow or deny Users set their own time zone, Remind users at login if their time zone, Time zone for new users.
Regional and language -> Date and time formats
Add/edit date and time formats.